The following list can help you locate karate clubs, find karate articles and forums, videos, and information. Just remember that studying karate is a balance between intellectual and physical study - there is no substitute for stepping on the floor and actually training!
- This is the official website of the International Shotokan Karate Federation, the organization to which we belong. The site has information about events like tournaments and camps, an ISKF club directory, and an online store where you can purchase books, videos, gis, etc. It also links to various editions of ISKF Spotlight, the organization newsletter.
- The ECCKU (East Coast Collegiate Karate Union) supports college students learning Shotokan karate, and member clubs host 5 tournaments each year around the East Coast.
- The NCKA (National Collegiate Karate Association) represents collegiate clubs in the ISKF throughout the USA. They also publish a yearly journal which includes articles as well as collegiate tournament results. Previous issues of the NCKA journal can be found on the ISKF-Alaska website.
- The Wikipedia page for Shotokan Karate. This entry has a good overview of karate training and history, with plenty of embedded links to more detailed information about terminology, karate's founders, and training practices.
- The Shotokan Way is a regularly updated Shotokan resource site with articles, beginner diaries, instructor journals, reviews, forums, instructor profiles, and lots of other cool stuff.
- This is a link to the JKA karate kata videos on YouTube. The playlist covers all 26 Shotokan kata that we practice in the ISKF.
- The JKA of Silicon Valley. This site has a wide variety of articles on many Shotokan karate related topics.
- This is a website run by Iain Abernethy, and is a very interesting resource for articles and information particularly related to practical self defense. The articles are written in a no-nonsense fashion and cover topics such as street application of kata and guidelines for practical kata bunkai. A newsletter, blog, books, and DVDs are also offered.
- This is the website for Shotokan Magazine, the premier publication on all things Shotokan, published in Great Britain. Info on the magazine, online subscription ordering, and some various Shotokan related information can be found here.
- This site has a lot of information in the form of the personal correspondences and publications of Lester Ingber, a Shotokan 8th dan. It is somewhat difficult to navigate, but the discussions range anywhere from karate physics to the value of training with kata.
- Our friends at Lycoming College SKC.
- Our friends at Bucknell University SKC.
- Provides some great information about self-defense, as well as ways to approach your karate training to be able to apply your training to self-defense situations.